Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Before Class, American Kitsch

American Kitsch, I must say, is one of my favorite art movements in history because I've always wanted to grow up during the 50's when a lot of this specific art and design were produced. Since American Kitsch took place in the 1950's, the Industrial Revolution brought mass consumption and objects that could be mass produced for all social classes to enjoy. All Americans could enjoy in this outrageous art movement.

Many critics think that American Kitsch brought about a "trash culture" but in my eyes, I think the design was very appealing. The organic, exaggerated curves that were used by designers can be seen on signs and even on Barbie (which was produced during this time)! Playful and unusual shapes were used to form colorful chairs and tables used in both restaurants and in homes. Posters that were produced during this time were made with over exaggerated facial expressions and very dramatic poses. As for the type used during this time, casual, hand-written typefaces were very popular. They can be seen on posters and in comic books.

Whenever I drive in my downtown, I see some signs that resemble this movement. The hot dog stand I live by still has an old 1950's feel to it. In front, it has a sign with dramatic cruves. In fact, it looks rather gaudy but I still like it =) Inside, the chairs are curved with unusual shapes and the interior design is very colorful. Plus, it has really good hot dogs!

Below are some examples of American Kitsch design:


This is a poster you would typically see. Notice the over exaggerated curves used.


This is furniture used in the 1950's. Notice the unusual shapes and colors used.

No comments:

Post a Comment